Our client, an educational establishment, located in Swanley, are seeking an experienced Chef Manager to cover long term sick leave.
Hours: 7.00 am – 3.00 pm – Monday to Friday
Start Date: 12th September 2022
To lead, direct and supervise catering staff to comply with the required standards of Hygiene, Safety, Service and Presentation.
To ensure the students and staff are provided with a nutritious and balanced diet.
To participate in the education of students in nutritional needs through liaison with all staff groups by providing and delivering information in varying forms.
To attend staff and management meetings as part of the whole school team as directed.
The expected fluctuations associated with the job means that hours of work must remain flexible, as the kitchen is open between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, term time only (plus there are some catering requirements outside of these due to lettings). Shift patterns are necessary and determined by the overall needs of the service
To ensure that the menu structure and framework meets all nutritional guidelines from government legislation and school requirements and includes –
- Cyclical seasonal menus with menu approval, leading the setting up and establishing of a regular student and staff food committee to monitor menus.
- Food tasting and sampling of proposed menus with demonstrations for students and staff.
- Holding theme days at least twice a term to encourage student awareness and participation in different religions and world celebrations.
- Special diets and specific portion control for medical reasons through consultations with the school nurse.
- Nutritionally balanced packed lunches for college, work experience and school trips.
- To ensure good presentation of food to stimulate and encourage the selection of choice to educate the nutritional needs.
To regularly review and/or implement sound control systems and procedures in good food management to include –
- Ensuring statuary controls such as food temperatures, fridge and freezer temperatures, delivery procedures and food storage etc are met and actioned to meet Environmental Health standards.
- Managing and ensuring good practice food ordering and waste control, ensuring that food items are delivered in a timely manner, stored correctly and issued in accordance with the menu for that week, special requests or class catering supplies.
- Participation, monitoring and ensuring budget requirements are met.
- Monitoring suppliers for quality and cost achieving best value at all times.
- Performing monthly Health and Safety Audits in the Catering Department.
- Monitoring Hazard Control Analysis for all cooking areas in the school to include house and class kitchens.
- Managing and reconciling staff payments for provided to staff not on duty liaising with the School Finance Officer.
- Monitoring costs and managing the correct issue of provisions to houses and classes.
- Ensuring security of all catering equipment, resources and stock.
- Take the lead in preparing the Menu of each day and delegating out the duties as catering start their shift and finish their specific duties to ensure that meal deadlines are met demonstrating best practice in food preparation and cooking.
- To maintain a good public image to students, parents, staff, guests and governors, also positively promote the catering service ensuring the conduct, presentation and behaviour of staff is in keeping with school policy.
- To ensure the required standards for safety, security, hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by the implementation of procedures and instruction.
- To actively participate in the day to day running of the catering service and encourage good teamwork and good working relationship and instruction.
- To organise and assist in the training of all the catering staff to the requires standards and maintain records of training.
- To attend and ensure relevant attendance of catering staff to INSET days.
- To ensure that the catering staff work the required hours to meet the needs of the service and that correct break periods are observed.
- Delegate tasks as necessary to staff to ensure effective work by the use of preparation, cooking and cleaning rotas.
- Monitor staff absence and perform return to work interview following sickness to ensure compliance with stator and school guidelines.
- Implement and maintain regular performance management for all catering staff in line with school guidelines.
This position is to cover long term sick leave.
Salary: £16.50 per hour